A traditional Dutch snack that you can add your own filling and freeze for later use. Bitterballen can be filled with a wide range of foods including beef, chicken, lamb, fish, vegetables, or herb & spices. It’s really up to you. It tastes amazing with minced beef and Verstegen gehakt. These fried snacks are tasty, great for parties and are very filling, enjoy!
Make the roux:
- Melt the butter in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add a chopped onion and let it simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Stir the mixture continuously for about 15 minutes until it starts to discolour.
- Pour 250 ml of cold stock and keep stirring well until mixture thickens.
- Turn the roux into ragout by adding the filling of your choice.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a sealed container.
- Refrigerator overnight (the ragout will stiffen up).
- Roll balls out of the ragout.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Beat 2 eggs.
- Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow plate.
- First roll the balls through the breadcrumbs.
- Roll the rolls through the egg.
- Roll the balls a second time through the breadcrumbs.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep pan on medium heat to pan fry.
- Or in the deep fryer at 175 degrees.
- Fry the balls for about 5 minutes.
- Place balls on paper towel to remove some oil.
NOTE: Makes between 10 and 40 balls depending on the size you want your bitterballen.
Best Selling Products